AW: How to distinguish unique and non-unique prefLabels?

Hi Jakob,

unique and non-unique skos:prefLabel subproperties seem a little bit counter-intuitive to me, since SKOS generally recommends unique use of skos:prefLabel "Following common practice in KOS design, the preferred label of a concept may also be used to unambiguously represent this concept within a KOS and its applications. So even though the SKOS data model does not formally enforce it, it is recommended that no two concepts in the same KOS be given the same preferred lexical label for any given language tag." (http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secpref)

This makes the skos:prefLabel property really valuable, far beyond the scope of thesauri, classifications and the like, because applications can assume uniqueness of skos:prefLabel for e.g. sorting or one-line display purposes of given resources.

In the systematic part of STW Thesaurus for Economics (http://zbw.eu/stw), I had to deal with the very same problem. There, I used rdfs:label as non-unique labeling property for the class name, and a concatination of notation and class name for skos:prefLabel.

Example:

<http://zbw.eu/stw/thsys/71085>
    rdfs:label "Development Policy"@en, "Entwicklungspolitik"@de ;
    skos:notation "V.08.02"^^xsd:string ;
    skos:prefLabel "V.08.02  Development Policy"@en, "V.08.02  Entwicklungspolitik"@de .

Since the skos:prefLabel is a subproperty of rdfs:label, this looked sufficiently consistent for me.

An application can make use of either the concatination (in a standard display), or of the seperate parts, where this is necessary.

I'd be happy if this helps -

Cheers, Joachim