Re: Issue: versionIRI for SKOS-DL ontology

From: Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:39:19 -0500
To: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org
Hi all,

> Bijan Parsia and myself just had a look at your proposed usage of the
> versionIRI in
>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2010Nov/0017.html
>
> we agree with Rinke that this might not be the standard usage of the
> versionIRI, but a perfectly fine one. Cheers, Uli

I naturally support this change.

However, here are some thoughts about versionIRI. After re-reading the
OWL 2 Specification sections related to ontology versionning, it is
right that everything is geared toward version numbers. However, I did
interpret it as only being a sequence of numbers that represents past
and future versions of an ontology, but really as a way to
differentiate  different versions of that ontology; independently of
what a "version" is.

In fact, I may even think of these versions as different "World Views"
of the same ontology: so, different versions of the same ontology that
are used by different systems for different purposes. In this case, the
modifications are needed for the usecase outlined in this Issue; but
this doesn't necessarily means that it is a "past" or "future" version
of the ontology, but just a different "view" of it needed for a (or
multiple) specific usecase(s).

Thanks!

Take care,

Fred