Unicity of skos (and skos-xl) prefLabel in one language : gender issues

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:19:24 +0200
To: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Hello

Currently working on migration of OPOCE authority tables to SKOS (countries,
languages, currencies etc) I stumble on the following issue :
A country (say : Greece) has terms denoting its nationality (Greek). If we
want to represent the nationality as a skos:Concept, in some languages which
have different forms for different genders, which one is to be chosen as the
unique prefLabel in French : "grec" (M) or "grecque" (F)? Either choice is
politically incorrect :)

Note that in this case we will use skos-xl to in order to capture the
"gender" property. But the issue is the same in skos or skos-xl.

So far I've used a workaround by attaching directly the nationality labels
to the country concept using an ad hoc "nationalityLabel" property, but it's
only a workaround in the sense that I skip the issue by not representing
explicitly the nationality as a Concept.

Thoughts?

--
Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant