Re: Mapping SKOS into BFO

From: Jim McCusker <james.mccusker@yale.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 12:30:05 -0400
To: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you map out a quick example within BFO where lytic vacuole and
> vacuole would play out, so that I could see a skos:Concept , a
> bfo:Entity , and a snap:GenericallyDependentContinuent coordinated
> with a snap:DependentContinuent ?

Sure, that is actually a big part of what CMO attempts to address. The
submitted paper (not proceedings, but accepted to ICBO) is available
at http://tw.rpi.edu/web/doc/towardscmo. This example would look like
the following, using OWL 2.

If the classes vacoule and lytic_vacoule are universals:

lytic_vacoule_concept a skos:Concept;
    cmo:represents lytic_vacoule.
    skos:broader vacoule_concept.
lytic_vacoule a owl:Class, cmo:UniversalClass;
    owl:subclassOf vacoule.
vacoule a owl:Class, cmo:UniversalClass;
vacoule_concept a skos:Concept;
    cmo:represents vacoule.

If the classes vacoule and lytic_vacoule are not universals, they can
be expressed like this:

lytic_vacoule a skos:Concept, owl:Class;
    cmo:represents lytic_vacoule.
    skos:broader vacoule.
    owl:subclassOf vacoule.
vacoule a owl:Class, skos:Concept;

In each case, the idea of the vacoule is the concept, while the class
of vacoule is the thing in the world that the concept represents. In
non-realist representations, the classes and concepts can be the same,
while in realist representations they can remain distinguished.

Jim McCusker
Programmer Analyst
Krauthammer Lab, Pathology Informatics
Yale School of Medicine