Re: Unicode Characters to display SKOS relations

Stella/Cristophe-

  It looks like Cristophe's iconography seems to be converging on something
resembling  Venn/Euler diagrams. This is an excellent idea, as a lot of the
subtleties related to mapping concepts become intuitively obvious when drawn
this way.  Venn diagrams are part of mass culture now (Izzard
2003b<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpWwC9qNpA>
).

There are some examples of illustrating  relations using venn diagrams in
Soergel (1974), Cruse (1986), and Croft and Cruse (2004);  I think the BSI
standards use them as well (Stella? Stella!)

There were probably symbols for this kind of thing in Blissymbolics.  If
there were, I suggest they be left to rest in pieces).

The tricky part would seem to be making the directionality clear, and
roughly indicating the additional semantics of the mapping relationships
compared to the regular ones (for example,  the broadmatch is the unique
smallest concept in the second concept scheme which contains the entire
concept from the first scheme.

It's also tricky making icons that are intelligible at the target image
size.

Simon

Izzard, Eddie and A. Pappas (Director) (2003a ). Circle. DVD. WEA Corp.
ASIN: B0000ALA3P. Sept. 2003.
— (2003b ). “Venn and His Diagrams”. In: Circle. Youtube clip. URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpWwC9qNpA

Croft, William and D. Alan Cruse (2004). /Cognitive linguistics/. Cambridge
University Press.
Cruse, D. Alan. (1986). Lexical semantics/. Cambridge University Press.
Soergel, Dagobert (1974). Indexing languages and thesauri: construction and
maintenance. Information sciences series. Los Angeles: Melville Pub. Co.
ISBN: 0471810479.

2010/2/8 Stella Dextre Clarke <stella@lukehouse.org>

> [...]
>>
>> You are right: my goal is to make big displays of thesauri legible, not to
>> invent new mathematics.
>> Using well known mathematical symbols are problematic. Unicode implies
>> reuse of existing symbols, already loaded with some meanings.
>>
>> So I updated my proposal again to take your remark. Please (re)look at:
>> http://www.destin.be/ASKOSI/Wiki.jsp?page=Icons%20for%20SKOS
>>
>> I did not finalize icons for "matching" relations but I will following the
>> next wave of comments.
>>
>> New icons:
>> Concept:
>> ConceptScheme:
>> Broader:
>> Narrower:
>> Related:
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> http://www.destin.be/ASKOSI/Wiki.jsp?page=Icons%20for%20SKOS#section-Icons+for+SKOS-WithIcons
>>
>> Thanks for the references (especially Dagobert Soergel which works like me
>> for Digital Libraries).
>>
>> Have a nice w.e.
>>
>> Christophe
>>
>> Simon Spero a écrit :
>>
>>> ----
>>> Useful sources:
>>>
>>> Croft, William and D. Alan Cruse (2004). /Cognitive linguistics/.
>>> Cambridge University Press.
>>>
>>> Cruse, D. Alan. (1986). /Lexical semantics/. Cambridge University Press.
>>>
>>> Riesthuis, Gerhard J. A. et al. (2008). /Guidelines for Multilingual
>>> Thesauri/. IFLA Professional Reports,
>>> No. 115. The Hague, NL: International Federation of Library Associations
>>> and Institutions. URL:
>>> http://www.ifla.org/VII/s29/pubs/Profrep115.pdf
>>>
>>> Soergel, Dagobert (1974). Indexing languages and thesauri: construction
>>> and maintenance. Information sciences series. Los Angeles: Melville Pub. Co.
>>> ISBN: 0471810479.
>>>
>>> In fact, read as much Soergel as you can find :-)
>>>
>>> ----------
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if the semantics of SKOS are quite right for the
>>> mathematical symbols  you're using
>>>
>>> Let the type Δ denote the domain of discourse to which labels might be
>>> attached.
>>> Let the type Σ denote the set of all possible label strings .
>>> Let the type CONCEPT denote a two-tuple, (Σ × ℙ(Δ))   containing a label
>>> and a set of elements of Δ .
>>> Let the type CONCEPT-SCHEME denote a  2-tuple (Σ  ×  ℙ(CONCEPT)).
>>>
>>> Let c and k denote two arbitrary CONCEPTs
>>> Let C and K denote two arbitrary CONCEPT-SCHEMEs
>>>
>>> Let label(k) refer to the first element of CONCEPT k.
>>> Let documents(k) refer to the second element of CONCEPT k.
>>> Let label(C) refer to the first element of a CONCEPT-SCHEME C.
>>> Let concepts(C) refer to the second element of a CONCEPT-SCHEME C.
>>>
>>> Let the 2-tuple (c,C) denote a fully qualified concept (FQC) consisting
>>> of  of a concept and a concept scheme,  where c ∈ concepts(C).
>>>
>>> BT, NT, and EQ for a single CONCEPT scheme.
>>>
>>> Within a single CONCEPT-SCHEME C, such that c ∈ C ⋀ k ∈ C
>>>
>>> 1: ( BT)    c < k    iff documents(c) ⊂ documents(k)
>>> 2: (NT)    c > k     iff documents(c) ⊃ documents(k)
>>> 3: (SY)    c  ≍ k    iff documents(c) ≡ documents(k)
>>>
>>> Unique Concept Scheme Name Assumption
>>> 4: ∀ C ∈ CONCEPT-SCHEME. ∀ K ∈ CONCEPT-SCHEME. label(C) ≡ label(D)  → C ≡
>>>
>>> Within Scheme Unique Preferred Name Assumption
>>> 5: ∀ C ∈ CONCEPT-SCHEME. ∀ c ∈ concepts(C).  ∀ d ∈ concepts(C).  label(c)
>>> = label(d) → c ≡ d
>>>
>>> Identity
>>> 6: C = K    iff   label(c) ≡ label(k) ⋀  concepts(c) ≡ concepts(k)