Re: Labeling ConceptSchemes: Best Practices?

Funny question!

 From my point of view, if one wants to manage a ConceptScheme like a
Concept, (s)he will make a "hyper generic" concept at the top of the
ConceptScheme.

What is a ConceptScheme:
1) A space constraining broader/narrower/related relations
2) Typically something managed by a coordinated team
3) As such, a "document" published with the Concepts of that team

Is it reasonable to have it in one file (one document)?
Yes if it is managed like a document (versions)
    URLs of Concept should then have the structure
http://URL-ConceptScheme#about
No if each Concept has an independent life and should be accessible
directly.
   A direct URL for the Concept (without the relative part #about)
should be used.

In a sense, not having labels for ConceptScheme is a clue that they are
not the vocabulary (the Dictionary is not the vocabulary, it is a
document containing it).

But, for some chores, it is useful to state information at ConceptScheme
level to be inherited by all Concept in that ConceptScheme:

1) namespace / about: many applications are using http://URL for a
ConceptScheme and http://URL#about for the Concepts: the "about" of the
concepts is then partially inherited from the ConceptScheme. In a way,
the referers should do the same thing: have one place to define referred
ConceptSchemes complete URL (e.g. an Entity) and then use only the
&entity;#about concept to refer. Here also, the ConceptScheme defines a
container where the Concept is an entry.

2) Icons (this is missing from SKOS standard IMHO): the ConceptScheme is
better represented by an icon than by a lenghty name. It is nice to
define icons at the ConceptScheme level and others at Concept level.
Concepts without icons are then prefixed by the ConceptScheme icon.

I feel like you that making everything a document (dcterms allowed
everywhere) may be somewhat lazy (no RDFS file to create) but may be it
is the less bad solution to "document" SKOS Concept Scheme and others.

Those different issues have an impact on implementations and SKOS tools
developers life when it comes to make links between different SKOS
sources (internal and externals), all moving at their own pace

I don't think I answer every aspects of your question. This is just my 2
cents...

Have a nice week-end,

Christophe