RE: UMTHES and SKOS-XL

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the references, analysis and explanation.
You did not miss anything.
However, I want to iterate on some practical considerations

I see SKOS primarily as an exchange format not as a maintenance format.
Users of the EUROVOC thesaurus maintenance system manage permuted literals
as properties of preferred or alternate xl:Labels.
Hence:
- the genuine managed labels are ok to have a URI that can later be used in
an LOD or SPARQL service interface
- permuted literal forms do not have this quality
However, when making a SKOS compliant publication, the hidden label has
relevance (as search value)
Hence EUROVOC publishes for a skos:Concept :C
- :C xl:prefLabel :ptC; xl:altLabel :nptC; skos:hiddenLabel "permuted
literal form of C" .
- :ptC xl:literalForm "PT of C" .
- :nptC xl:literalForm "nPT of C" .
I think this is compliant with SKOS(XL) - comment is welcome.

The details of why
- :nptC is an an alt label
- "permuted literal form of C" is a permuted label
can be found in the equivalence relationships (simple or compound) or in the
permuted literal forms of either :ptC or :nptC.
This is expressed in the EUROVOC specific SKOS extension (and thus requires
knowledge of the owl schema beyond
the formal OWL expressions - i.e. the documentation that goes with the
schema).

The selection of something being a PT or an nPT or a permuted label is up to
the thesaurus maintenance/management.
It is not always obvious if either an acronym ("OWL") or the full name ("Web
Ontology Language") will be used as PT
in a real world thesaurus.  (Like considerations apply for other label
relations)
However, once a name is selected as the PT, the related labels are likely
(mandatory?) candidates for nPT or hidden labels.

As there currently is no SKOS extension capturing such label relations, we
now discuss on which approach to take.
I would advocate that for some of the work done on the ISO standardization,
it may be worthwhile to do some RDF
standardization effort in the future.
Possible candidates are:
- Concept groups
- Equivalence relationships (simple and compound)
Obviously, the industry may find the schema provided in the ISO standard
(UML/XML) sufficient.

kr, Johan De Smedt.

  _____