RE: UMTHES and SKOS-XL

Hi,

Suggestion: There are three levels of organization.
- Concepts (SKOS talk)
- Labels
- Text processing

A significant part of the issues discussed related to what is on the label management level
and what is on the text processing level (thus needing a proper definition)

Language specific text processing and analysis (including inflection)
seems to me a specialized area for which global resource (language dictionalries)
like word-net can solve.
Stemmeng, also is in this area.
It seems to me costly if this would be managed in every thesaurus.

Label management can focus on standard terms and term decomposition as relevant within a
thesaurus or taxonomy.  (equivalence relation, compound equivalence, acronym,
short-name, qualifiers ...)

Indexing and search engines combining thesaurus and text processing should can use the label
management layer (of the thesaurus) to configure the relevant text processing.

Concept and label processing surely belong to the thesaurus/taxonomy/... management.
Text processing, I would suggest, is in the text processing engines.

PS:
- thanks for the UMTHES presentation - very instructive.
- would it be an idea to build on further SKOS extensions to have common schema for
  artefacts like equivalence relation and compound equivalence; or for specializing
  some xl:labelRelation ?

kr, Johan De Smedt.