Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

Richard

So you have me convinced that my skos:Concept labelled "Michelle Obama" is a
> "library business object" which is a different entity from Michelle Obama
> the living person. It follows that an owl:sameAs statement between the
> skos:Concept and the foaf:Person is inappropriate, because it conflates
> creation dates of different entities.

Yes, among other things ...

On 12 Nov 2009, at 15:13, Bernard Vatant wrote:

> OTOH, looking with librarian glasses on, DBpedia entries are also somehow
> "concepts", since they could also bear Dublin Core stuff like the first
> version of DBpedia in which they have been published, number of related
> DBpedia concepts ... or any librarian workflow record of the same kind. In
> this case, Richard could assert a skos:exactMatch relationship between his
> entry and the DBpedia one.

I'm intrigued. So could I say the following:

>   <http://mydataset/433256>
>       a skos:Concept;
>       skos:closeMatch <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michelle_Obama>.

Definitely no! When I write above 'DBpedia *entries' *I don't speak about
the things represented by the entries, but the entries themselves, seen
through librarian eyes. Simon answered correctly sooner today by saying that
DBpedia does not provide URIs for those animals.

> Note that the DBpedia resource *is* Michelle Obama the living person, typed
> as a foaf:Person, and bearing properties such as :spouse and :child.

Indeed, and :mother too, as far as I know

> But I will just ignore that

Well, you can ignore that, but it's there anyway

> just to see what rat's nest that will get me into.

The same one as before

> Because of the range of skos:closeMatch, the triples above imply the
> following:
>
>   <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michelle_Obama>
>       a foaf:Person;
>       a skos:Concept .
>
> So this would mean that there exists a concept that shares all properties
> (including creation date) with the person.

Strange animal, possible cause of a total semantic collapse.

> I'm assuming that DBpedia does not assert any SKOS properties about the
> resource.
>
> Can a single URI refer to a person and to an equivalent concept at the same
> time?

I don't think it's reasonable at all to do that

> Anyone care to shoot holes into that idea?

I won't let it a chance to even leave the ground :)

Bernard

--
Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant