Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

Hi Richard,

(by the way thanks for the summary, Bernard!)

> Thanks for summing up the thread so nicely! And apologies for anyone who
> might be bored by this thread by now ...
>
> So you have me convinced that my skos:Concept labelled "Michelle Obama"
> is a "library business object" which is a different entity from Michelle
> Obama the living person. It follows that an owl:sameAs statement between
> the skos:Concept and the foaf:Person is inappropriate, because it
> conflates creation dates of different entities.
>
> On 12 Nov 2009, at 15:13, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>> OTOH, looking with librarian glasses on, DBpedia entries are also
>> somehow "concepts", since they could also bear Dublin Core stuff like
>> the first version of DBpedia in which they have been published, number
>> of related DBpedia concepts ... or any librarian workflow record of
>> the same kind. In this case, Richard could assert a skos:exactMatch
>> relationship between his entry and the DBpedia one.
>
> I'm intrigued. So could I say the following:
>
>    <http://mydataset/433256>
>        a skos:Concept;
>        skos:closeMatch <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michelle_Obama>.
>
> Note that the DBpedia resource *is* Michelle Obama the living person,
> typed as a foaf:Person, and bearing properties such as :spouse and
> :child. But I will just ignore that, just to see what rat's nest that
> will get me into.
>
> Because of the range of skos:closeMatch, the triples above imply the
> following:
>
>    <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michelle_Obama>
>        a foaf:Person;
>        a skos:Concept .
>
> So this would mean that there exists a concept that shares all
> properties (including creation date) with the person. I'm assuming that
> DBpedia does not assert any SKOS properties about the resource.
>
> Can a single URI refer to a person and to an equivalent concept at the
> same time?
>
> Anyone care to shoot holes into that idea?

You mean, *again*? ;-) The thread on the SKOS list that followed your first mail [1] was more-or-less about that, no?

Anyway, without taking position here myself, I'd think that you are not far from doing that person-as-concept trick yourself in dbpedia.

There are no indeed SKOS properties about the resource (note that there could be skos:prefLabel, which does not have skos:Concept as domain), but at least for http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michelle_Obama there is a statement which looks more like something for a "dbpedia business object" than for the real person:
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michelle_Obama dbpprop:termStart "January 20, 2009"

Antoine

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2009Nov/0000.html