Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

On Nov 6, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Ross Singer wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
>
>> Everything that is-about something is a document.
>> Everything that something is-about is a concept.
>>
>> My problem is that this second assertion is blatantly false. I have
>> shelves
>> full of books that are not about concepts at all. Biographies are
>> about
>> people, not (usually) concepts of people. So at this point, SKOS
>> simply
>> vanishes into never-never land. I have no idea what it is talking
>> about
>> (quite literally).
>
> I sort of disagree here, but, at the end of the day, I'm not sure it
> matters if I coin a skos:Concept "about" the person in the biography
> on your bookshelf and you refer to the resource representing him or
> her directly.

Two points. First, you mis-state the issue (more below). But yes, it
really does matter, not because *people* give a damn about such
distinctions, but because the inference machinery does. Use/mention
confusions (of which this appears to be one) are like sand in the
gears of the semantic web, already.

Now, about the substantive point. The issue is not that there are two
ways to refer, one more 'direct' than the other. The issue is the
nature of things being referred to. To put it simply, are we talking
about people (or galaxies or unicorns or...), or about library or
thesaurus entries or records? They are all things that can be referred
to, and the nature of the referring is the same in all cases (it is
the 'interpretation' mapping in the RDF semantics). But people (etc.)
are just a different kind of thing than entries and records, and have
very different properties.

Also, for clarification. The resource does not represent anything. In
the biography example - lets take a biography of Darwin as the example
- the actual person, Charles Darwin, is the resource in question, that
the biography is about. The name "Charles Darwin" (a string of 14
characters, including the space) refers to the man, who is the
resource. You cannot link to Charles Darwin, only to data/records/
representations/descriptions of Darwin.

> Eventually, we'll figure out some way to link those two
> together and most people probably won't care that I think that the
> subject heading for the Grand Canyon
> (http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85056381) is somehow describing some
> abstract "aboutness" of http://sws.geonames.org/6619202/ and not just
> the physical location.

But inference engines trying to make sense of your data together with
other data will care. Or rather, they will break if you get this all
muddled up.

> What I'm saying is that a Philosophy 101 debate is not going to derail
> the semantic web.

This is not a philosophy 101 debate, it is an ontological debate. And
ontologies are the very stuff of the semantic web.

Pat Hayes