Re: Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

From: Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:24:52 -0500
To: Ross Singer <rossfsinger@gmail.com>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Hi Ross!

Exactly. It is a good example of the usage of umbel:linksEntity. so, it
links a concept to a related (in terms of aboutness) individual.

So, with these two properties, we have the usecases for: "Concept ->
Individual" and "Individual -> Concept"

Additionally, you have other properties that handle other usecases such as:

(1) umbel:isLike (Individual -> Individual). You can also reify a
likelihood weight by reifying the umbel:withLikelihood property)
(2) umbel:isAligned and umbel:linksConcept (Class -> SubjectConcept and
SubjectConcept -> Class ; and you can reify an alignement weight with
the umbel:isAligned property).

So, as you cited bellow, the goal is to assert "aboutness and
likelihood" relationship between: individuals, classes and subject concepts.

So, umbel has two major components: (1) a graph of subject concepts (its
usage is discussed at length in the documentation) and (2) an ontology
that relates inviduals and classes to subject concepts (usecases
discussed in this thread).

A new version of the subject concepts framework will be released soon

Take care,