Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

From: Jürgen Jakobitsch <jakobitschj@punkt.at>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:41:54 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
To: dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

here's my two cents.

0. i think the question implies (psycho lingually) that mrs. obama
   IS really a foaf:Person. i think she's (also) DESCRIBED as a foaf:Person..
1. describing what really is, is hard enough - triple so with triples.
2. it depends on who's looking at the data.
   2.1. i personally dont't consider mrs. obama to be a
        - a foaf:Person
        - a foaf:Agent
        - a geo:SpatialThing
        - a skos:Concept or whatever class, most certainly not a poor owl:Thing.
   2.2. a reasoner with limited access to data, say your's and dbpedia would
        just find that this resource has two types, weather sensefull or not.
   2.3  a reasoner (more an intelligent agent) with access to all data, would
        most certainly find a triple somewhere, that states that a skos:Concept
        disjoints with a foaf:Person and conclude that humans (hm.. they're all
        owl:Things... tomorrow i use them as duracell:batteries..) are a quite contraditory breed.
3. consindering normal daily speaking reveals that asserting facts with owl has it's weaknesses and
   that a reasoner who sees these triple must be humanly intelligent.
   - mrs obama is a woman
   - mrs obama is the first lady
   - what mrs. obama means to me, is that .... (so she's an abstract concept)
   - yesterday i saw mrs. obama playing football (soccer)
   - my mother is a woman

wkr www.turnguard.com