Re: FAQ:

Two possible reasons, by my lights:

(1) If the goal is mapping legacy terminologies into an RDF dialect:

RDF/OWL has a formal, model theoretic, extensional semantics. Most
legacy terminologies have an informal semantics that is entirely
intensional. Putting them directly into RDF/OWL imputes to them an
ability to support a kind of inferencing that they were never intended
to support. The result is liable to be unexpected or undesirable
inferences; or in other cases, failure to entail inferences that one
would imagine to be natural consequences.

SKOS, on the other hand, doesn't treat the legacy terms as classes
with extensions (as RDF/OWL does). Yet SKOS still gives one a
vocabulary to talk about the most important intensional meanings that
such terminologies tend to use (notions like narrower, broader,
related, etc.).

(All this is much better said than I ever could in the SKOS Primer.)

(2) If the goal is to model a set of terms de novo:

For the same reasons as stated in (1), SKOS provides a way to depict
informal, notional relations among ideas without having to buy into
the more rigorous RDF/OWL semantic model, which may be too
constraining for certain kinds of modeling (for example, the more
freewheeling kinds exemplified by "concept-mapping", "mind-mapping";
or the type of intuitive models that one tends to get from domain
experts).

John