SKOS tools? Discussion about Protege and Large scale terminologies...

Dear Mr. Cox,

Thanks for the critical point of view: it is useful to underline what
needs to be done.

I will be at the Protege workshop in Amsterdam next week:
http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2009/workshops.html
"Challenges of Developing and Deploying Large Scale Biomedical
Terminologies"
We cannot be nearer of SKOS related questions...
Do you authorize me to use your conclusions to see what is the position
of the Protege community toward SKOS?

Personally, I developed a Java layer to access SQL, XML or CSV sources
thru a SKOS conceptual model (API).
This means that data is edited in an existing application (which feeds
an SQL database, for instance) and that a "SKOS view" of this data is
available to the same or other applications.
An example of this is the integration within DSpace which can be seen at:
http://www.windmusic.org/dspace
This site is in testing state. Official launch in september.
A DSpace collection is used to manage keywords, another one for authors,
one for orchestras, etc: all used as SKOS concepts within the (modified)
DSpace application.

I was thinking that Protege could be used for SKOS/RDF file editing
(when no existing application provides an SQL database): your negative
experience is a bad news.

Meanwhile, there is also the XML approach (no RDF): the basic SKOS
conceptual model (no local extension) can be represented as POJO and
marshalled/unmarshalled to XML using JAXP.
This is very fast. The whole Agrovoc thesaurus (28 954 concepts with
terms in more than 20 languages) can be translated from SKOS/RDF to XML.
 From there, it is loaded in memory in less than 7 seconds: in memory,
it is also very compact as it is represented as Java objects and not RDF
relations.
(little extract at the end of this message)

This is the approach I took because I needed to handle big thesauri for
precise uses (multilingualism; information retrieval: search expansion,
faceted browsing, etc.).
SKOS is also to develop smaller thesaurus where the researchers may want
to create new relations: this is not in my main use cases.

* I am a long time user of Protege for modelling: for that, it is really
fine.
* I also used it with OWL for a dictionary of literary devices (20
thousand entries): this was far too heavy and slow.
It is now in JSPWiki: http://www.destin.be/DIRE/ : In the future, I will
use SKOS for the backbones (links) and Wiki pages for the examples and
other content.
* I was hoping that for medium scale thesaurus, it would be nice: your
message is cooling this much more than I expected.

This being told, I remained convinced that SKOS/RDF must be supported
and I will implement RDF marshalling/unmarshalling when requested by one
of my projects.
This also means that a SKOS/RDF file could be created starting from any
existing SQL database.

Have a nice day!

Christophe Dupriez

Small extract of Agrovoc in XML (SKOS conceptual model):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<conceptScheme about="c">
<title>AGROVOC</title>
<title lang="en">FAO Multilingual Thesaurus.</title>
<namespace>http://www.fao.org/aims/aos/agrovoc#c_</namespace>
<editorialNote>Free to all for non commercial use.</editorialNote>

<concept about="3">
<prefLabel lang="en">ABA</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="fr">ABA</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="es">ABA</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="ar">آبا</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="zh">脱落酸</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="pt">Aba</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="th">เอบีเอ</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="ja">アブシジン酸</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="sk">ABA</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="de">ABA</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="hu">Aba</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="pl">Aba</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="fa">آ.بی.آ</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="it">ABA</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="hi">एo बीo एo</prefLabel>
<altLabel lang="cs">kyselina abscisová</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="de">ABSCISINSAEURE</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="en">Abscisic acid</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="es">Ácido abscísico</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="fa">آبسيسيك اسيد</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="fr">Acide abscissique</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="hi">एबसिसिक अम्ल</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="hu">abszcizinsav</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="it">Acido abscissico</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="ja">アブシジン酸</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="pl">Kwas abscysynowy</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="pt">Ácido abscísico</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="sk">kyselina abscisová</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="th">กรดแอบไซสิค</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="zh">ABA</altLabel>
<editorialNote>The last modification for this concept was for the term
in CS</editorialNote>
<broader>3397</broader>
<broader>32543</broader>
</concept>

<concept about="4">
<prefLabel lang="en">Abaca</prefLabel>
</concept>

<concept about="9001020">
<prefLabel lang="en">stakeholders</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="fr">partie intéressée</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="es">agentes interesados</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="zh">利益相关者</prefLabel>
<prefLabel lang="sk">podielnici</prefLabel>
<altLabel lang="cs">zainteresovaná strana</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="en">Stakeholder</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="es">Parte interesada</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="fr">Parties prenantes</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="hi">टेक धारी</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="it">Parti interessate</altLabel>
<altLabel lang="sk">podielnici</altLabel>
<editorialNote>The last modification for this concept was for the term
in CS</editorialNote>
<broader>50227</broader>
<related>37968</related>
</concept>