Re: broader and broaderMatch... and BT???

Hi Alistair,

I agree that it's probably too late for changes to be considered to the
core SKOS language.  However, making the extensibility of SKOS
explicitly part of the standard could be a really important benefit.

These days, there is a common trend in open-source packages (eg Drupal,
Firefox) for there to be a place for extensions to be registered by the
*owner* of the package (not just hoping that people can publish on their
own web pages and get a sufficient rank on Google).

Doing this reduces the proliferation of competing extensions to some
extent and focuses community effort.

SKOS sits somewhere between a technology (eg XML) and a software
package.  I believe it could benefit from a similarly endorsed community
extension model.

This could be achieved simply by inserting something into the
Recommendation like: "The SKOS standard was built was extensibility in
mind.  A list of unofficial community extensions to SKOS can be found at
http://w3c.org/xxx."  Then, just give people a way for people to submit
their extensions to the SKOS group for listing on a W3C web page.

Even better would be the ability to submit under an "extension" subtype
of the W3C, eg http://www.w3.org/2008/05/x-skos/iso#bt.  I can
appreciate that this might be politically difficult to arrange, however.

Cheers,

-- Stephen.