Re: ISSUE-186: Last Call Comment: Mappings

This is just to endorse Alistair's comments on ISO 5964 and BS8723-4,
which I think are good interpretations. (Although his mention of
BS8723-5 is probably a typo). A couple of things to clarify/add:

1. The descriptions of "exact" "partial" and "inexact" equivalence in
ISO 5964 are not meant to specify three distinct relationship types in a
multilingual thesaurus; they are observations on what one encounters in
natural language during the process of deciding what terms/concepts to
include in a multilingual thesaurus, and which equivalence relationships
to establish in it. And ISO 5964 does not deal at all with mappings
between thesauri.

2. Re the unwisdom in BS8723-4 of juxtaposing construction of a
multilingual thesaurus with building mappings between thesauri, the
committee developing ISO 25964 has taken much the same view. ISO 25964
will be the number of the standard which will update ISO 5964 and ISO
2788. It will be based on BS 8723, but the content will be rearranged.
All the material about building a thesaurus, whether monolingual or
multilingual, will be in Part 1 of ISO 25964. All the material about
mappings between thesauri will be in Part 2. We hope that will resolve
any current confusion.

Stella Dextre Clarke
Project Leader, ISO NP 25964

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
stella@lukehouse.org