skos:mappingRelation and skos:semanticRelation

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:32:17 +0200
To: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Just realized something I find a bit weird

To begin with skos:mappingRelation and skos:semanticRelation seem to
have somehow distinct usages, the former being used for cross-vocabulary
relations, and the latter for relations inside a vocabulary.

But since skos:broadMatch has became a subproperty of  skos:broader, it
is de facto a subproperty of  skos:semanticRelation.
Same for skos:narrowMatch and skos:relatedMatch.

Some mapping relations are now semantic relations, and I have no problem
with that ... But why are poor skos:closeMatch ans skos:exactMatch
excluded from the promotion? Seems to me, there is as much "semantics"
in a close or exact match than in broad, narrow and related match(es).

Why not make simply skos:mappingRelation a subproperty of
skos:semanticRelation ?

Bernard

--

*Bernard Vatant