multilingual labels in SKOS

From: Johan De Smedt <johan.de-smedt@tenforce.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 23:55:19 +0200
To: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Cc: "'Alistair Miles'" <alistair.miles@zoo.ox.ac.uk>

Dear,

Neither of RDF-Schema or OWL seem to handle functional properties for
multilingual values very well.
Typically these could be used for skos:prefLabel.
(A prefLabel is desired to have cardinality 1,
 but extensions to SKOS to realize this do not work out in a multilingual
KOS)

- Is this use case handled by SKOS ?
- is there an advised solution pattern ?
  e.g. making language specific sub-properties of skos:prefLabel that do
have cardinality 1
       (I do not like this because nothing prevents me making an
xx:prefLabel-en getting the value "dit is niet in de juiste
taal"@nl^^xsd:string)
- do we need to turn to inference rules to solve this ?

thanks for advice on handling this use-case.

Kind Regards,
   Johan De Smedt
johan.de-smedt@tenforce.com
mobile: +32 477 475 934