Comment: ISSUE-74

From: Johan De Smedt <johan.de-smedt@tenforce.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:50:41 +0100
To: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Reposting (with additional figure) from my earlier posting on
'public-swd-wg@w3.org' (March 2, 2008)

Earlier posting:

Problem setting:
I try to use the SKOS mapping relation for the following application
- Documents are indexed using a limited number of (classifying) concept
thesauri (CCT)
- Products provide user interfaces using several (small) product (specific)
taxonomies (PST)
- Terms of the product taxonomies are mapped to the concept thesauri using a
logical combination
  (using combinations of boolean "NOT", "OR" and "AND" and of grouping
operator: () ) between thesauri concepts
Question:
- It seems the mapping described above between product taxonomy and
(classifying) thesauri is not expressed in SKOS.
  The mapping relationship only allows to express simple 1-1 relationships,
  not a relationship from 1 (PST) term to a boolean function f on (CCT)
terms.
  Am I overlooking something here ?
Proposal:
  The way I was thinking about this was:
  - a class ex:OneOnManyMappingRelationShip
    - subclasses ex:ExactRelationship, ex:BroaderMatch, ex:NarrowerMatch,
ex:RelatedMatch (= exhaustive enumeration of disjoint subclasses)
  - a property: ex:mappedConcept, functional, domain =
OneOnManyMappingRelationShip, range = skos:Concept (the mapped/source
concept)
  - a class ConceptExpression, with
    - subclasses ex:Conjunction, ex:Disjunction and ex:Negation (the
function expressing the mapping logic)
  - a property expressionMember with domain = ConceptExpression and range =
ConceptExpression U(nion) skos:Concept (the target concept(s))
    this property has minimum cardinality 1, but an exact cardinality
restriction of 1 on the Negation class

Follow-up question:
- if I am not overlooking the way SKOS could do this differently, then I
need to extend SKOS for my application.
  How should I do this?

Thanks for advice.

Kind Regards,