Re: RE : RE : RE : Suggestion for SKOS FAQ

ah, sure... thanks Antoine. You're right, it's a confusion about
inheritance.

Is there a current draft for the new SKOS core as rdf? I can only find
this one which doesn't include the new transitivity solution: http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core.rdf
I assume skos:transitiveBroader is an owl:TransitiveProperty (http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#TransitiveProperty-def
). If skos:broader is a sub property of skos:broaderTransitive this
does not imply skos:broader is also an owl:TransitiveProperty! - it is
no sub class it's just a sub property ;-)

So, if I use the skos:whateverTransitive property e.g. in a SPARQL
query, I get the whole transitive closure of the concept relation and
if I use skos:broader/etc. I only get direct assertions, right? With
this approach it's possible to interpret relations as transitive by a
query/application although the author of the KOS did not even use
transitive properties, right? That's fine ;-)

Thanks,
Andy

On Mar 13, 2008, at 1:51 PM, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> I'm sorry I don't have time to read all your mail and answer point
> by point.
>
> But it seems really related to confusion about transitivity and
> inheritance.
> You indeed assume that if something is transitive, then it has more
> information defined, and thus should be a sub-property of a non-
> transitive property.
>
> But it is prefectly possible to say that a superproperty is
> transitive. That says something about its graph (that is, the
> couples (x,y) that are related by the property, as the As and Bs in
> your example).
> But now, if you have a sub-property, formally it is defined as a sub-
> part of the graph. So you lose elements (couples), and something
> that was true at the level of the super-property (e.g. transitivity)
> might not be true anymore for the sub-property.
>
> Example:
> - one property 'blob1' defined by the graph {(a,b), (b,c), (a,c)}
> (it relates only these elements) is transitive
> - one property 'blob2' defined by the graph {(a,b), (b,c)}
> blob2 is a sub-property of blob1 and yet blob2 is not transitive.
>
> That's what happens currently in SKOS, where blob1 is
> broaderTransitive and blob2 is broader
>
> Antoine

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69
http://www.langegger.at