Re: ISSUE 77 and postcoordination [and ISSUE-40!]

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 at 14:38:02, Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de> wrote

>Hi Antoine,
>
>ISSUE 40 is related but seems to go further. Some people distinguish
>"postcombination" and "postcoordination":
>
>postcombinations:
>* holiday, 2008
>* 2008, holiday
>
>postcoordinations:
>* holiday IN 2008
>* holiday BEFORE 2008
>
>I think the second (postcoordination) is too complex, but
>postcombination should be supported. Mapping to combinations of
>concepts is just one application but more important is to encode
>relevant and you surely want to encode additional metadata to subject
>indexing (who assigned it? when was it assigned?). One solution is
>reification but this is just terrible.

We have to be careful here about the terms we use, or we will create
confusion. In normal thesaurus and classification practice, we use the
expressions:

pre-coordination: meaning that the indexing terms assigned to a resource
are combined into a structured string (with a defined order and possibly
some link terms or symbols) at the time of indexing. For example, a
resource could be given the pre-coordinated indexing string "holidays :
2008" if the rules for citation order were that activity was cited
before date.

post-coordination: meaning that when indexing terms are assigned to a
resource they are not combined in any way.  A resource could be given
the two independent terms "holidays" and "2008", but without any
relationship between these being expressed. The compound concept would
be retrieved if a search was made using the Boolean search statement
("holidays" AND "2008").

Pre- and post- therefore refer to whether concepts are coordinated
before or after the cataloguing of the resource is completed and stored
ready for retrieval.

The term "postcombination" is not one I have ever come across, and I
suggest that it should not be used as it is liable to be misinterpreted.

As I understand it, the SKOS use of the term "collection" is for
something different altogether. SKOS usage seems to be that "collection"
is what in thesaurus practice we would call an "array", i.e. a set of
sibling concepts, sharing a common broader parent. This is part of the
structure of a controlled vocabulary, and is not related to the
assignment of more than one term when indexing a resource.

Leonard Will

--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092