Re: Suggestion for SKOS FAQ

Andy-
Unfortunately SKOS currently can't support the kinds of inference you
mention; it used to, but The Hierachical
  Relationship was been removed in the latest draft for reasons which
aren't entirely obvious.

Before these changes SKOS did provide this relationship in the form of
the unqualifed skos:broader property. This corresponded directly to
the Broader Term relationship which thesauri define in terms of
document retrieval.

The Hierachical Relationship is not necessarily valid when considered
in terms of the underlying instances and classes of an OWL style
ontology- it can happily cross BTP and BTG boundaries, etc.

Currently the remaining vaue in SKOS comes from the label properties.
These can be used with RDFS and OWL.

See the discussions related to Issue-44 for more information.

Simon
Sent from my iPhone