Re: RE : RE : aboutness and broader

From: Etienne Posthumus <etienne@mnemosyne.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:29:26 +0200
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think the search system should give the user the option of retrieving only
> documents indexed with the exact term asked for, or that term and its
> descendants, or of broadening the search by looking at ancestor terms too.
> This is the sort of interaction that Doug Tudhope's group in Glamorgan are
> developing.

Some feedback from the use of such a system 'in the wild'. We do not
make use of broaderTransitive in our system.

In our search engine for cultural heritage items, we give the user the
choice when doing a search for items using an item from the
classification system.
The user can choose to retrieve documents for which there is an exact
match on the specified classification item, or by checking a box also
retrieve documents that implicitly have been classified with items
that lie on the 'path' along the hierarchy to the root.

Etienne Posthumus
Mnemosyne
Amsterdam, Nederland