SKOS editor

From: Reul, Q. H. <q.reul@abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:15:06 -0000
To: <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Hi all,

I'm planning on developing a SKOS plugin for Protégé 4.0. I have attached to this email a screenshot of what I think would be useful. I believe that for this editor to be useful, it should make sure the information available is consistent with the SKOS model as described in [1].

As I was designing the potential layout, I found a few interesting questions to which I would like comments from the working group.
1. I was wondering if the working group had defined a list of requirement for SKOS editor.

2. Top concept: in owl everything is owl:Thing, and I was wondering if there was an equivalent in SKOS. I was thinking skos:ConceptScheme would be the higher node in the hierarchy but then I read that a SKOS model could have more than one concept scheme. Is this correct?

3. Hierarchy: I think that the user should only be given one of the hierarchy properties (i.e. either skos:narrower or skos:broader), but assigning the inverse in the background. I was also wondering if several concepts are broader than another concept, does that mean that the siblings are skos:related.

For example,
ex:MSc skos:broader ex:Student
ex:PhD skos:broader ex:student
Does that always entail?
ex:MSc skos:related ex:PhD

4. I was wondering if the working group had defined an extension for SKOS files (e.g. skos, rdfs) to be used.

Regards,

Quentin

[1] http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/integrity.html?rev=1.7

* Quentin H. Reul                        *
* PhD Research Student                   *
* Department of Computing Science        *
* University of Aberdeen, King's College *
* Room 238 in the Meston Building        *
* ABERDEEN AB24 3UE                      *
* Phone: +44 (0)1224 27 4485             *
* http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~qreul       *

SKOS_editor.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: SKOS_editor.jpg)