Re: [ISSUE-77] [ISSUE-48] Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Skos subject properties are deprecated

From: Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:26:24 +0100
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org

Dear Antoine and all,

Antoine wrote:

> I'm sorry but I don't fully understand your objections: what I call
> "categorization"(or whatever the proper name be) in wikipedia is indeed
> linked to an application, the one that will return a set of documents
> that are relevant for the "history of the internet" each time I browse
> this category. And the success of this application is dependent on the
> way the link between documents and categories are related.

In the Wikipedia case a set of documents is returned, in other cases it
could be a set of people, a set of countries, or any other records.
Frankly you cannot link to a person but only to a record that represents
the person so in the end everything is a document - but not a document
the the common understanding of "document".

> I agree that the relation we are searching for connects a concept to a
> resource, but I think it should have more semantics: otherwise you could
> use it to represent a link between one concept and the resource standing
> for its creator, who might have very little to do with this subject the
> concept resource stands for. And I do think we can refer to a class of
> document description and/or retrieval applications that share enough
> commonalities to give a precise (or inprecise) enough idea of what these
> semantics are.

After reader your comments I'd prefer to call the relation
skos:indexedWith, but I doubt that such changes in the naming of
relations will be made to keep compatible with the previous draft.

Greetings,
Jakob

--
Jakob Vo▀ <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 G÷ttingen, Germany