Re: [ISSUE-77] [ISSUE-48] Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Skos subject properties are deprecated

Antoine wrote:

 > Cheers, (and thank you all of all for this very interesting discussion
 > on an important issue for SKOS. For the moment no formal decision has
 > been taken whether to deprecate skos:subject and to "replace" it by
 > dc:subject, so any input is welcome)

The discussion is interesting and irrelevant in the same way.

> Actually in your wikipedia case there might be a problem anyway. I would
> not say that it is the TimBL resource which is about the history of the
> net, but its description on wikipedia: what if this description had been
> purely biological (size, hair color, preferred beer)? In this case the
> categorization of the resource you describe under "history of the
> internet" would be problematic, wouldn't it?

Neither SKOS in general nor the Wikipedia category system is about
"categorization". There is no general wrong or right in subject
indexing, it always depends on the concrete application. You can argue
and discuss endlessly about a the concrete indexing in Wikipedia or any
other application - but that's not our business! SKOS is not a concrete
knowledge organization scheme (KOS), but a vocabulary to encode any
simple (!) KOS.

Richard wrote:

 > I feel that “A skos:subject B” carries a certain implication, in
 > natural language, that “A is about B”. I would prefer having another
 > property that does not carry that implication.
 >
 > “A skos:indexedIn B” --
 > “TimBL is indexed under the concept History of the Net”.

Ontologies are not about feeling. If the term "subject" has a special
connotation then how about calling the relation "smirgel" or "kstfxy"?
Because that's what an RDF relation looks like to a Computer. There is
no inherent semantic in a relation but its usage - the usage of
skos:subject is to connect skos:Concept and any other resource. That's
all. There is no "aboutness" in RDF (unless you define it).

Mikael wrote:

 > I think there might be a point in having a generic property attaching
 > a resource to a Concept, but it has to be as general as
 > "associatedWith".

Name it "subject", "associatedWith", or "indexedIn" - the point is to
have a relation to connect skos:Concepts with other resources.
Everything more that that is not simple anymore so it should not be part
of SKOS.

Greetings,
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany