Re: [SKOS] The return of ISSUE-44 (was Re: TR : SKOS Reference Editor's Draft 23 December 2007)

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:23 +0100
To: Daniel Rubin <rubin@med.stanford.edu>
Cc: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

OK Daniel, let me have another try  if you don't mind  :-)

> From my point of view, it does NOT make sense that skos:narrower and
> broader are not transitive.
> And if applications can go ahead and make them transitive by expanding
> how they wish, that violates the asserted SKOS semantics. Unless I'm
> misunderstanding something here, this sounds like a formula for chaos.

Expanding the query does not *make* the relation transitive, it's just
an application feature. I don't see any violation of the semantics. The
results proposed are not results of the original query, but from *query
expansion*. The query expansion is not the original query, right? There
is one single way to strictly answer the query, and many ways to expand it.

I have this real-life example at a customer's in legal publication.
The figures are around 2 million documents, and 50,000 concepts in the
vocabulary (and growing), with a very deep tree.
Suppose I start a search at level 3, on a concept with 5 direct narrower
concepts, and about 500 more downwards if transitivity is applied.
If I don't expand the query, say I get 40 answers indexed on the direct
narrower concepts, if I expand it with unbound transitivity, say I get
4,000 answers. Way too many. Think about performance.

 From a end-user perspective, what is the best? Retrieving very quickly
the 40 resources classified directly by the 5 direct children, and
allowing the user to expand from one of those one or two steps down,
does not seem a recipe for chaos, but for a sound adaptation to the
context, and for tackling some scalability issues. If transitivity is
built in the semantics, I have to go down the tree and retrieve the
4,000 answers. If I want to trim the tree to limit the results, there I
will break the semantics ...

Does that make sense?

Best

Bernard