Re: [SKOS] The return of ISSUE-44 (was Re: TR : SKOS Reference Editor's Draft 23 December 2007)

At 02:07 AM 1/10/2008, Bernard Vatant wrote:

>Antoine, and all
>
>>As far as I'm concerned, we are not trying to
>>propose with SKOS a standard that would oblige
>>KOS owners to re-engineer their conceptual
>>structures to fit our whishes. The objective is
>>to easily represent and to publish KOSs. So if
>>there is enough cases of "non-transitive"
>>hierarchies (and I do believe it is the case)
>>then it is a wrong design decision to make skos:broader transitive.
>+1
>As is well stated in the introduction of the
>editor's draft, the intended use of SKOS, not to
>support inference, but to support
>indexing/classification, search and retrieval of resources.

Classification is a type of inference, and
indexing/retrieval will require inference at
least along hierarchical relations for query
expansion, so I don't see that we can easily
keeps separate from the need to support inference (albeit simple inference)...