Re: Relationships involving collections

Hi Jakob,

Jakob Voss wrote:

> Hi Alasdair!
>
> You wrote:
>
>> With regard to the latest skos reference working draft, how should
>> mappings between vocabularies that involve collections be performed?
>>
>> In the astronomy vocabularies that I have been working with, I have
>> come across several instances where I either need to directly relate
>> 2 collections or a collection with a concept. One such example is for
>> relating the vocabulary of astronomy and astrophysics journal
>> keywords (A&A) [1] with the international astronomical union
>> thesaurus (IAUT) [2]. Below are brief snippets of the two vocabularies.
>>
>> A&A
>> Concept: "Sources as function of wavelength"
>>  NT Collection: "Gamma Rays"
>>    NT Concept: "Gamma ray bursts"
>>       Concept: "Gamma ray observations"
>>       Concept: "Gamma ray theory"
>
> That's in RDF:
>
> aa:1 a skos:Concept ;
>  skos:prefLabel "Sources as function of wavelength" ;
>  skos:narrower aa:2 .
>
> aa:2 a skos:Collection ; rdfs:label "Gamma Rays" ;
>  skos:member aa:3 ;
>  skos:member aa:4 ;
>  skos:member aa:5 .
>
> aa:3 a skos:Concept ; skos:prefLabel "Gamma ray bursts" .
> aa:4 a skos:Concept ; skos:prefLabel "Gamma ray observations" .
> aa:5 a skos:Concept ; skos:prefLabel "Gamma ray theory" .
That is what I was intending. However, this is *not* compliant with the
latest working draft [4] as skos:narrower cannot be applied to
collections. In fact, this raises the question, how do you state where a
collection fits within a hierarchy? All the examples of
collections/arrays show them within a hierarchy but by my understanding
this can no longer be stated in SKOS.

>> IAUT
>> Concept: "Radiation"
>>  NT Concept: "Gamma rays"
>
> That's in RDF:
>
> iaut:1 a skos:Concept ; skos:prefLabel "Radiation" ;
>   skos:narrower iaut:2 .
> iaut:2 a skos:Concept ; skos:prefLabel "Gamma rays" .
Again, that is what I was intending.

>> I would like to assert
>> A&A:"Gamma Rays" skos:exactMatch IAUT:"Gamma rays"
>
> You try to assert
>
> aa:2 skos:exactMatch iaut:2 .
>
> But why don't you assert the following:
>
> iaut:2
>   skos:narrowMatch aa:3 ;
>   skos:narrowMatch aa:4 ;
>   skos:narrowMatch aa:5 .
I would like to provide a user interface where they do not need to
concern themselves with concepts and collections.

>> In fact, as I have typed up this example I wonder if the A&A
>> vocabulary snippet I have given is in fact valid in the new skos
>> reference as is declares a collection to be a narrower term and this
>> goes against the domain and range declarations for the BT/NT
>> relationships.
>
> Yes, mapping a collection and a concept is not valid - but in practise
> (as you have shown) it would be very useful. We could either broaden
> the  domain and range of the mapping vocabulary or add a second
> mapping vocabulary. In both cases you MUST declare some rules:
>
> <A> a skos:Concept .
> <B> a skos:Concept .
> <C> a skos:Concept .
> <X> a skos:Collection .
>
> <A> skos:narrower <X> .
>  <X> skos:member <B> .
>
> <X> skos:exactMatch <C> .
>
> entails
>
> <C> skos:narrowMatch <B>
 From the point of view of providing interfaces to users who do not want
to concern themselves with what is a collection and what is a concept,
these rules will be essential. This is in fact something I am in the
midst of developing, a mapping editor for skos vocabularies.

> This could get a bit more complicated (for instance transitive member
> relations) but makes sense.
I have not even begun to consider how transitivity affects this.

> Thanks for pointing to this issue.
>
> Greetings
> Jakob

Cheers,