Re: ISSUE-160: Allowing collections in semantic relationships

Hi (for the last time today) !

Personnaly, I keep thinking that SKOS is needed to support distributed indexing/retrieval applications of the Semantic Web: this is more than publication / exchange.

If we want to interact with CD 25964 (CDxxx and not ISOxxx because it is still a draft, as one wrote it to me), we should at least implement nicely ISO 5964 (which includes ISO 2788).

Pre-coordination is part of ISO 2788 but, like with SKOS, I never implemented it in my past indexing/retrieval system (when you are "Concept" based, you are not easily "Term" based). My experience is that "Term" based systems are better for thesaurus management; "Concept" based systems being closer to indexing/retrieval purposes (targeted to "using" the Thesaurus).

You also have imposed order for a given level (time periods for instance must be in time sequence and not alphabetical): collections do not convince me for this... A rank attribute on the concept simply works.

I mentionned MeSH for its importance: it is a very tough challenge (already with memory usage). But I have to support it (for indexing/retrieval only, not management).

So, I will dig further all the references you provided me, go further with my current SKOS developments. But please don't forget to integrate the experience of the past!

Have a nice evening,

Christophe