From: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org on behalf of Aida Slavic
Sent: Fri 16/11/2007 12:35
To: Miles, AJ (Alistair)
Cc: SWD WG; public-esw-thes@w3.org
Subject: Re: SKOS and RDFa in e-Learning

Alistair,
important for e-learning is that it relies heavily on metadata in
management and access to learning resources as well as management of
learning process.
Interoperability in general -  but semantic interoperability in
particular is paramount in integrated access to learning resources which
is why implementors not only make sure that they use standard metadata
format (LOM /IMS / DCEd) but that vocabularies used in populating
metadata are unambiguous and interoperable.

Implementors are concerned with subject vocabulary (knowledge
organization systems) but also vocabulary for learning resource type,
format, audience etc...As far as I am aware e-learning community has
been discussing the problem of vocabulary standardization, machine
readibility and exchange long before SKOS (hence VIDEX - Vocabulary
Index Exchange specification).

I think you can easily establish some kind of link along these lines.

I don't know whether Pete Johnston is on the SKOS list - but he may have
something to add to this.

Maybe if you would send your message to CETIS-metadata list - you are
very likely to get some feedback

hope this helps

Aida