Re: [SKOS] ISSUE-33 "SimpleExtension" proposal (was RE: [SKOS] "Lexicalization" or "term"?)

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>
> I just took a look at the latest revision of the "SimpleExtension" proposal [1] for ISSUE-33. Interesting :)
>
> Under this proposal, is there a bijection [2] between the extension of skos:Label and the set of RDF plain literals?
>
> In other words, is there only one skos:Label for every plain literal, and vice versa?
>
> Or, under this proposal, is there only a surjection [3] between the extension of skos:Label and the set of RDF plain literals
>
> In other words, is there only one plain literal for every skos:Label, but one or more skos:Label for every plain literal?
>
> This is absolutely crucial to exploring the consequences of the proposal. It is crucial because it bears on the conditions under which it makes practical and logical sense to assert the identity of two individuals of type skos:Label. This is the fundamental question that all proposals following the "terms-as-classes" pattern must address.

Good point, should have made this clear. As skos:Label is just a support class for the literal, my initial reaction was that a liretal can only have one skos:Label attached to it  But this will not work in practice, as literals may be used as terms in several vocabularies. The only constraint that makes sense, I think, is to require that literals only have one lLabel within one particular ConceptScheme. Would this work?

Guus

--
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Computer Science
T: +31 20 598 7739/7718; F: +31 84 712 1446