RE: [SKOS] ISSUE-33 "Minimal Fix" Proposal

Hi Antoine,

> - keeping the original grouping constructs

Yes, the vocabulary is { skos:Collection, skos:OrderedCollection, skos:member, skos:memberList }.

> - forbidding the use of skos:narrower/broader between a
> collection and its 'more general' concept

This would lead to an inconsistency. Make inconsistent statements at your peril :)

> - relying on sophisticated algorithm to generate hierarchies
> for grouping-aware applications

Yes and no. The fact is that a typical "systematic display" of a thesaurus or classification scheme incorporates a certain amount of "presentational" information - information about how to lay things out in 2 dimensions. I believe it should be out of scope for SKOS to convey presentational information. This means that, in order to fully convey a systematic presentation of a thesaurus or classification scheme, you might need something other than SKOS.

However, in the absence of any presentational information, there could be a default method of constructing a systematic display. To handle SKOS grouping constructs, this would require an algorithm which is *fairly* sophisticated - certainly not straightforward to a novice hacker. The onus is on me to provide a reference implementation :)

> - asking thesaurus builders to create explicit
> broader/narrower links between the concept generalizing the
> collection and the concepts included in the collection (e.g.
> ex:milk skos:narrower ex:cowmilk),

Yes.

> therefore ignoring the
> level of the grouping in the explicitation of the conceptual hierarchy

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> PS: what are the 3 bars (|||) in the entailment rule table in
> the wiki page?

Doh. That is actual three letter "l"s - it's supposed to stand for any URI reference or blank node id, like "uuu" or "vvv" - I chose "l" for "list", although I should've looked more closely at <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#rules>, and I should've realised arial is a bad font for "l"s :) I'll change asap.

Cheers,

Al.