[SKOS] basis for the SKOS semantics and ISSUE-38: OWLDLCompatibility

Hi all,

To allow us to move forward with developing the SKOS Semantics and resolving various issues, I have a proposal for how to develop the SKOS Semantics.

In the introduction section to the SKOS Semantics wiki draft I explain the approach:

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/Semantics/Introduction?action=recall&rev=15>

Basically, I propose to build on the RDF-compatible model theory for OWL [2], and develop the SKOS semantics as a vocabulary extension of OWL Full, although the semantics are presented in such a way that SKOS could also be interpreted as a vocabulary extension of either RDFS or OWL DL.

As a temporary measure for getting around the syntactic constraints of OWL DL, I propose that any semantic conditions which take SKOS outside OWL DL are marked as "DL-optional" in the SKOS Semantics, as explained further at [1]. This does not resolve the practical issue of what should end up at the SKOS namespace, but it at least gives us something to move forward with.

This is not the sort of thing that a degree in zoology really prepares you for, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some major problems with this idea - I'm counting on those in the know to help me out :)

Cheers,

Alistair.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-semantics-20040210/rdfs.html

--