Re: OWL species and subproperties of rdfs:label

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 12:36:08 +0000
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
CC: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Marc <marc@geonames.org>, public-esw-thes@w3.org

Bernard Vatant wrote:

> So, to sum it up, suppose I declare the following in the original ontology
>
> <owl:AnnotationProperty
> rdf:about="http://www.example.org/ontology#altName">
>  <rdfs:subPropertyOf
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label"/>
> </owl:AnnotationProperty>

> <owl:AnnotationProperty
> rdf:about="http://www.example.org/ontology#altName"/>
>
> The subproperty declaration is deleted

Does SWOOP warn you that this file is OWL/full and so can't be edited
safely?

>  <owl:AnnotationProperty
> rdf:about="http://www.example.org/ontology#altName">
>    <rdfs:subPropertyOf
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label"/>
>    <rdf:type
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#DatatypeProperty"/>
>  </owl:AnnotationProperty>
>
> The DatatypeProperty class is added

In OWL/DL AnnotationProperty and DatatypeProperty are disjoint, so even
though you are already in OWL/full this seems like a strange way to be
behave.

> Now if I don't want to presume the property type and just declare
>
> <rdf:Property     rdf:about="http://www.example.org/ontology#altName">
>  <rdfs:subPropertyOf
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label"/>
> </rdf:Property>
>
> SWOOP just ignores this declaration altogether, and the property is
> killed when saving.

This is OWL/full, again does SWOOP warn you it might loose OWL/full-isms?

> Protégé does not show the property in the GUI, but Jena saves it in the
> original form.

Yes, Jena can happily read/write OWL/full files and certainly won't
loose triples like that.

> Well, all that is *very messy* indeed. Looks like that the semantics of
> annotation subproperties is defined nowhere, and randomly implemented in
> tools.

Well in a sense the point of Annotation properties is that they don't
really carry any semantics, that's why they can be safely used in DL.

> I'm not even sure that a subproperty of an annotation
> property is an annotation property. Is this entailed by RDFS semantics?

No.

> a:myProperty1      rdfs:subPropertyOf      b:yourProperty2
> b:yourProperty2       rdf:type      ex:SomePropertyType
>
> Does the above entails in RDFS
>
> a:myProperty1        rdf:type       ex:SomePropertyType
>
> ?? (I guess yes, but maybe I'm wrong)

No. For example, instead of ex:SomePropertyType consider
owl:TransitiveProperty then there is no reason why a subProperty of a
transitive property should itself be transitive.

Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Annotations