Re: [SKOS] OWL DL compatibility

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:11:57 +0100
To: SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
Cc: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
>
> Very nice summary of these problems!

+1

I'm still digesting the issue. But one immediate point: I am
uncomfortable with excessive use of OWL's notion of "annotation
properties". They're very much 2nd-class citizens in the OWL world. I'd
rather define extra properties for class etc annotation, and restrict
prefLabel, altLabel to  SKOS individuals.

SKOS is in a funny place here, since it bridges (conceptually if not yet
technically) the ontological and the "thesaural" (ahem) styles for world
modelling. I think it should be possible for SKOS instance data to be
usable within a DL environment. And the SKOS vocabulary definitions
should be OK in a DL environment too. But beyond that, I envisage SKOS
being used in practice within idioms which blatently "cross the
streamers" and tangle up instance data with class-level data. But I
think we can make this an opt-in feature that doesn't upset the DL approach.

BTW re DL, it is worth keeping an eye on
http://owl1_1.cs.manchester.ac.uk/owl_specification.html#A and nearby,
to get a sense for where the folk behind OWL DL's thinking is headed...

cheers,

Dan