AW: [SKOS] semantics

From: Svensson, Lars <l.svensson@d-nb.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:14:03 +0100
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
In litteris suis de , public-esw-thes-request@w3.org <>scripsit:

Hi Alistair,

> To explore the feasibility of this approach, and to provide a
> concrete basis for discussion of specific semantic conditions,
> I have written a draft semantics of SKOS as a semantic
> extension of RDFS:
> [2]
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RdfsSemanticExtension?action=recall&rev=6
> Note that this draft only considers a limited subset of the
> current SKOS vocabulary - but don't worry, there is still
> plenty of potential for debate :)

Nice work. As another amateur logician, my €0,02 regarding the conditions five (related symmetric [1]), six (broader/related disjoint [2],) and seven (broader circularity [3]):

If we explicitly state that skos:broader is irreflexive and that related is symmetric, do we really need to explicitly state that related and broader are disjoint? I might be wrong, but isn't reflexivity a special case of symmetry (thus "not reflexive" implies "not symmetric")? If so, then related and broader are automatically disjoint since the one is symmetric and the other not.

Lars (who is preparing to be marked as an illogician)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RdfsSemanticExtension?action=show#head-2720d90db0d07e1bf2c8000865e3dd5dcb843fc2

[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RdfsSemanticExtension?action=show#head-91883720929401c191bc745af6f7bf16e645bbed

[3] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RdfsSemanticExtension?action=show#head-e33bee2e45eb2b3d65f695d72782e558c8b9fd45

Dr. Lars G. Svensson