Re: [SKOS] languages and scripts

From: Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:41:55 +0100
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org

Bernard Vatant wrote:

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2006Dec/0033.html
>
> I'd never had any feedback about the latter, although we are now well
> ahead into the next year ... :-(
> but seems that Jakob is walking along similar lines.
> Jakob, did you look at http://esw.w3.org/topic/Languages_as_RDF_Resources?
> What do you think?

Thanks for pointing me to your proposal. I merged the pages but there
are some differences between our approaches. I'd completely build upon
SKOS instead of using different classes and OWL:

<skos:Concept rdf:about='#zh'>
  <skos:prefLabel>zh</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:altLabel>Chinese</skos:altLabel>
  <dc:date>2005-10-16</dc:date>
</skos:Concept>
<skos:Concept rdf:about='#Hant'>
  <skos:prefLabel>Hant</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:altLabel>Han (Traditional variant)</skos:altLabel>
  <dc:date>2005-10-16</dc:date>
</skos:Concept>
<skos:Concept rdf:about='#HK'>
  <skos:prefLabel>HK</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:altLabel>Hong Kong</skos:altLabel>
  <dc:date>2005-10-16</dc:date>
</skos:Concept>
<skos:Concept rdf:about='#zh-Hant'>
  <skos:prefLabel>zh-Hant</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:altLabel>traditional Chinese</skos:altLabel>
  <dc:date>2003-05-30</dc:date>
  <skos:broader rdf:resource='#zh'/>
  <skos:broader rdf:resource='#Hant'/>
</skos:Concept>
<skos:Concept rdf:about='#zh-Hant-HK'>
  <skos:prefLabel>zh-Hant-HK</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:altLabel>Hong Kong Chinese in traditional script</skos:altLabel>
  <dc:date>2005-04-11</dc:date>
  <skos:broader rdf:resource='#zh-Hant'/>
  <skos:broader rdf:resource='#HK'/>
</skos:Concept>

But as far as I understand this is no contradiction - my proposal may be
a less detailed subset of yours.

By the way I'd prefer to use skos:notation and/or skos:title and
skos:Coordination but these are not defined yet.

Greetings,
Jakob