Re: [SKOS]: [ISSUE 44] BroaderNarrowerSemantics

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:29:26 +0100
To: "Miles, AJ \(Alistair\)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
CC: public-swd-wg@w3.org, public-esw-thes@w3.org

Hi Alistair,

> Hi Antoine,
>
> A quick question...
>

>> He might for instance not grant any importance to
>> hierarchical display, but be just interested in query
>> reformulation along the complete hierarchy, because he things
>> his structure is clean enough for this. And he might want to
>> use a standard SKOS query reformulation service (plugged on
>> his RDFS-enabled semantic store) based on skos:broader, and
>> not to create his own.
>>

> What do you mean by "query reformulation"? Is it the same as "query expansion"? How does a "standard SKOS query reformulation service" work?

Well I don't know in absolute, but for the sake of the argument I assume
it's the same. A "query reformulation service" would for instance take a
(query) concept as input, and deliver a bunch of specialized concepts to
re-send against a query engine. "standard" here that he would use
standard SKOS information, e.g. skos:broader

Cheers,

Antoine