RE: RE : Issue : unicity of prefLabel per language per concept scheme

Antoine/Alasdair,
Just a brief comment on the proposal below. I have a lot of sympathy
with the general sentiment, but some doubts about simply treating the
notation as another language version. Why not introduce it
straightforwardly as notation, another (optional) element of SKOS? Some
thesauri (especially multilingual ones) have a notation as well as
terms, so would sometimes use it. Classification schemes would almost
all use it. Some taxonomies would use it. Of course, the different
vocabulary types may each use it in slightly different ways! (For
example, in MeSH, a given term may have more than one notation.)
The general guideline would be something like: "Each concept should have
either a prefLabel which is unique within any one language, or a unique
notation." There would need to be an explanation somewhere of whether
the notation or the prefLabel was to be used for purposes of conveying
uniqueness.
All the best
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk