RE: [SKOS]: [ISSUE 44] BroaderNarrowerSemantics

Hi Antoine,

Regarding your "locally transitive specialization pattern", see [1] . There the design pattern has the *super-property* as transitive, and the *sub-property* as "direct", where the notion of "directness" is necessarily subjective.

I think your concern about John & Mary is justified. I'm not sure what to do about it.

I don't think your "locally transitive" pattern is completely "safe". Although it would avoid skos:broader becoming transitive in Mary's thesaurus, skos:broader would be effectively transitive for John's thesaurus. Therefore when Mary attempts to process John's thesaurus, if she expects skos:broader to be intransitive she will interpret the data as inconsistent.

Here are two choices that occur to me.

(1) We leave skos:broader as neither transitive or intransitive. If we do this, then people who want to interpret skos:broader as *intransitive* will need to know how to deal with any transitivity they may find (i.e. Mary needs strategies for dealing with situations like the one you describe). I don't know how simple it is to "filter out" triples to create an intransitive graph ... I'll look into that. If it's not simple, then this option is probably not viable, as you suggest.

(2) State skos:broader to be transitive. Then, either (a) define a design pattern for declaring a "direct" sub-property of skos:broader, or (b) go even further in the same direction and declare skos:broaderDirect ourselves for which people can have a strong-ish expectation to be intransitive.

However, note that even with option (2b), you will still need strategies for dealing with transitivity in the "direct" broader relation, because of it's subjectivity (see [1]) - what one person considers "direct" may be several steps (i.e. indirect) to another person.

Cheers,

Alistair.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/OEP/SimplePartWhole/ section "General issues / Transitive relations - parts and direct parts"

--