Re: SKOS Core enquiry

From: Benjamin Nowack <bnowack@appmosphere.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:35:18 +0200
To: Quentin Reul <qreul@csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org

On 23.10.2006 17:21:49, Quentin Reul wrote:
>I was wondering if you could explain why skos:broader and skos:narrower
>properties have been added as part of the SKOS vocabulary. My query is
>based on the fact that generalization/specification can already be
>represented by properties such as rdfs:subClassOf.
SKOS concepts differ from rdfs/owl classes, one of the purposes of SKOS
(the main one?) is to be less precise than RDF schemas/ontologies in
order to avoid unwanted restrictions and inference effects caused by
using RDFS or OWL constructs.

>Furthermore,  the Semantic Web tend to claim that reuse is very
>important. However, properties such as skos:subject or
>skos:primarySubject are already present in other languages such as
>foaf:topic and foaf:primaryTopic respectively in FOAF
><http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>.
The domain of foaf:topic is foaf:Document, the domain of skos:subject,
however, is not restricted (looks like you can tag real-life objects
like conferences etc. with SKOS). I also think SKOS adds some (informally
described) transitivity features to skos:subject (in combination with
broader/narrower).

just some thoughts,
benjamin