SKOS Core enquiry

From: Quentin Reul <qreul@csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:21:49 +0100
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org
Dear all,

I was wondering if you could explain why skos:broader and skos:narrower
properties have been added as part of the SKOS vocabulary. My query is
based on the fact that generalization/specification can already be
represented by properties such as rdfs:subClassOf.

Furthermore,  the Semantic Web tend to claim that reuse is very
important. However, properties such as skos:subject or
skos:primarySubject are already present in other languages such as
foaf:topic and foaf:primaryTopic respectively in FOAF
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>.

The W3C have proposed a draft for Wordnet in RDFS and OWL
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/WNET/wordnet-sw-20040713.html>
and I was wondering if there was any plans to represent WordNet in SKOS.

Regards,

Quentin

The University of Aberdeen has been shortlisted in The Times Higher
Awards 2006 for:

    * * Higher Education Institution of the Year; and *
    * * Outstanding Contribution to the Local Community *

For full details, visit: http://www.thes.co.uk/Awards/2006/

Quentin H. Reul
Computing Science
University of Aberdeen