Re: question concerning collections

Hi Paul,

The SKOS Core Guide [1] says:

"Note that in the example above the collection was defined as a blank
node, i.e. no URI was allocated. URIs may be allocated to collections,
but usually this is not necessary."

So the first answer to your question is 'yes, it is possible and it is
allowed'.

However, I think the wording above should be stronger, stating that it
is recommended NOT to give a URI for a collection. Collections are used
to represent node labels, and node labels should not be used for
indexing. Therefore annotators should not be tempted to use them anyway,
simply because a URI is available for them.

Again quoting [1]:

'There is consensus that a 'node label' does not represent a label for a
concept in its own right, and therefore correctly modelling this kind of
structure in RDF requires careful consideration.'

Cheers,
Mark.

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-skos-core-guide/#seccollections

--
  Mark F.J. van Assem - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
        markREMOVE@cs.vu.nl - http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark