Re: How to mix SKOS and OWL? And Protege bug

Hi John,

The best guidance currently available on how to mix SKOS and OWL is the
section "Hybrid SKOS/OWL Ontologies" in a draft on how to extend SKOS, see:

http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/public/skos/drafts/appextensions.html#hHybrid

Note that this draft has no formal status, it's something I prepared for
discussion.

If you want to import SKOS Core into an OWL ontology using Protege or
SWOOP, you have to use the *highly experimental* pure OWL-DL version of
SKOS Core, which you can get from:

http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/owl-dl/skos-core-owl-dl.owl

... note that this pure OWL-DL version has *absolutely no status
whatsoever* and may change or disappear completely at any point in time,
and I cannot guarantee that it will work with the latest OWL plugin for
protege, or with SWOOP.

If you have any thoughts on how best to model SKOS Core in OWL, feel
free to make suggestions.

The current RDF(S) description of SKOS Core (which is what you get if
you dereference the SKOS Core namespace URI) doesn't import into protege
properly because several properties are declared to be sub-properties of
rdfs:label, and protege doesn't show these (although it doesn't remove
them from the model). It doesn't import into SWOOP because SWOOP is OWL
only (at least it was last time I looked).

Best I can do for now.

Cheers,

Al.

--