Re: AAT and SKOS

Hi Paul,

The MultimediaN e-culture project that I work in has an RDF version of
both the AAT as well as the AAT-NED (dutch version). We also have
versions of ULAN and TGN. The schemas can be found at [1].

It is an initial non-SKOS conversion and I am planning to refine in the
future. We introduce a separate class HierarchyName for it. However, it
seems that the names are only labels for the top concepts that are
direct children of facets, see [2] "Facets and Hierarchies in the AAT".

So I think it would be fair to treat them as either Facets or Concepts
(the exact difference between the two has always escaped me). In the
SKOS case I think I'd go for concepts with the HierarchyName as its
skos:prefLabel.

For those interested, have a look at our on-line art search demo [3]
which utilizes the three Getty thesauri as well as WordNet's in RDF (see
the latest version at [4]).

Cheers,
Mark.

[1]http://e-culture.multimedian.nl/resources/
[2]http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/aat/about.html
[3]http://e-culture.multimedian.nl/demo/search
[4]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/WNET/wn-conversion.html

--
  Mark F.J. van Assem - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
        markREMOVE@cs.vu.nl - http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark