Re: Practical applications of networking standards for KOS

Hi Alistair:

Thank for your comments. I am happy to hear that you liked the paper :).

>From the perspective of the applications we are working on (e-learning) SKOS
satisfies all the needs in terms of information retrieval - or search for
learning objects across different repositories/digital libraries. On the
other hand, it simple and not hard to be used.

We are very interested in the future development of the SKOS Mapping
vocabulary. The reason is - we've been developing mapping algorithms for
lightweight ontologies (SKOS) based on the content they annotate. For
example, we use text mining techniques to analyze the titles and abstracts
of papers in different DLs based on different classifications. Once we
discover those mappings, we would like to encode them using a standardized
format, so that the approach presented in the paper will be automated
completely. Though the present SKOS mapping vocabulary is simple, it's very
intuitive to human (none semantic web use), and it's very suitable for our
needs. As we have already implemented the search algorithm based on SKOS and
have encoded several classifications in SKOS, we would like to keep using
SKOS mapping vocabulary. So, I'll be very keen on helping you develop the
SKOS Mappings :).

Cheers,
Dragan

---------------------
Dragan Gasevic, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow

School of Interactive Arts and Technology
Simon Fraser University Surrey
13450 102 Ave.
Surrey, BC V3T 5X3
Canada