RE: SKOS Mapping Vocabulary Specification query

Hi Stella, Gabriel

Thanks for your emails - much appreciated.

> Well, this may not be exactly what you are asking about, but we hope it
> will be useful for a lot of applications.  Let me know if you'd like to
> see a draft.

This sounds very useful indeed and it will definitely inform our approach.
Thanks!  We will keep everyone posted on developments!

The big question for HILT relates to the type of approach.  Recent
approaches adopt a conceptual appraisal of matching, and this is certainly
consistent with how SKOS functions and current thinking generally (such as
the recent Renardus project).  Yet, a large proportion of mapping work in
the past considered this inadequate and adopted an approach of
distinguishing matches at a finer level of detail (e.g. singular/plural
matches, spelling variations, etc., in addition to concept matches and exact
matches).  Similarly, previous work in HILT (much of it anecdotal,
admittedly) appeared to infer that users required such detail to understand
why they had received particular mappings and to enable them to formulate
similar queries in the future.  It was also necessary to allow users to
disaggregate huge result sets which might normally (under SKOS for example)
be conceptually equivalent but which in reality subsumed various types of
'exact match'.  For example, to-the-letter exact matches or matches with
spelling variations or intervening characters, and so forth.

Clearly this area lacks sufficient user research as there are numerous
assumptions in the literature as to what users might find useful! :-)
Perhaps this is something we can investigate this during the project
lifetime...

Thanks to all.

George
George Macgregor,
Centre for Digital Library Research (CDLR),
Department of Computer & Information Sciences,
University of Strathclyde, Livingstone Tower,
26 Richmond Street, Glasgow, UK, G1 1XH
tel: +44 (0)141 548 4752
fax: +44 (0)141 548 4523
web: http://cdlr.strath.ac.uk/