Re: Example of coordination with DDC

From: Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:13:45 +0100
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org

In message <GDELJIGAINGFMJPDGLFMAELKCPAA.aida@acorweb.net> on Thu, 3 Aug
2006, Aida Slavic <aida@acorweb.net> wrote
>I recently did research of interface functionalities in searching UDC
>in 30 OPACS (20 countries) - both vendor and inhouse systems. You would
>be surprised how sophisticated some of them are.

Aida -

Have you published this, or can you give us pointers to some good
examples?

I have generally been disappointed at how little use OPACs make of
classification systems, but I have probably been looking at software
developed for the US market, where there has never been a tradition of
using classification as the main subject approach. That influence has
led to a reduction in its popularity in the UK too, unfortunately.

Leonard

--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092